We got home last night from hospital and I am pleased that little man’ surgery was a success. I had a feeling that this hospital would be better than the previous one last year, but we were pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

As soon as we arrived at the hospital, little man was having fun looking at the bubbles, then there were moving animals projected on the floor and lots of toys and games in the middle of the room. The staff were friendly and smiling, patients seemed relaxed and it was a nice atmosphere in the hospital.

Little man had his feet checked and marked for the surgery. I realised that I didn’t have any photos of his overlapping toes, so I took a few photos before he went for surgery. One of the ladies in the play group explained to little man about his surgery, what would happened and even let him play with some of the materials the doctors would use during the surgery. Little man seemed relaxed and comfortable and so did we.

Once little man was wearing his gown ready to go to theatre, he was calm and relaxed looking at the beautiful paintings on the ceiling. Little man knew he would need an “airplane” on his hand and it would need “fuel” so he could go to sleep and go on a nice holiday. He would wake up and his feet would be fixed. It was quick in theatre, they had no troubles giving him anaesthetic.

The surgery went well and it didn’t last long. We had breakfast while we were waiting to be called to the recovery room. As I went in to theatre, daddy went to meet little man in recovery room. Soon after he came back to the ward and seemed fine, he was spaced out and couldn’t speak properly, but he was in good spirits. Little man found a strawberry mask for me and we had matching masks.

Once little man had lunch and was back to normal, he went to the play area. He loved painting and I must say I loved it too. Not sure whether I was meant to paint, but I needed to relax too. It’s quite stressful when your little one is in hospital, let alone having surgery. I painted a little fairy, little man painted letters.

There were lots of toys and games. Little man found some elephants masks, so we became the Elephant family. We loved seeing the staff interacting with the children, playing games, talking to them and making their stay as enjoyable as possible.

A massive THANK YOU to all the staff at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore for taking care of our little boy. Thank you so much for all your help and for making our day as relaxed as possible!

Thank you very much to my lovely friends on Twitter that kept me entertained during the day. Thank you for your lovely messages and support! 🙂